There is no reason why another animal should die so that you can enjoy what you eat. I have included some links to vegan recipes here and, in time, I will add new recipes of my own.
Vegan Brown Soda Bread
Compassionate Thanksgiving & Christmas Dinner
Christmas Vegan Roast
Preheat the oven to 200C/400C/gas mark 6.
1 medium sized onion or 1 small leek, chopped
1 fl oz (30 ml) vegetable oil
2 tsp (10 ml) yeast extract in 1/4 pint hot water
8 oz (225g) chopped mixed nuts
2 tbsp ground almonds
4 oz (100g) wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 tbsp sage or your favourite herbs
Pinch cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sauté the onion or leek in the oil until soft, not browned.
2. Combine all of the ingredients together; the mixture may be slightly slack. Turn into an oiled ovenproof dish and bake in oven at 180C/350F/gas mark 4 for 30 minutes until golden brown. Serves 4-6
Herb and Onion Stuffing
7 oz (200g) onions, finely chopped
2 oz (50g) vegan margarine
1 tsp sage, chopped – fresh if possible
2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
2tsp fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
2 oz (50g) wholemeal breadcrumbs
1. Gently fry the onions in the margarine until golden brown, then add the sage, seasoning and breadcrumbs.
2. Place in an ovenproof dish.
3. Bake for 20 minutes at 200C/400C/gas mark 6.
Special Roast Potatoes
2 lb (900g) potatoes, chopped to size
4 tbsp rapeseed or other (synthetic) truffle flavoured oil
Salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400C/gas mark 6.
2. Boil enough water in a pan to cover the potatoes and boil them for ten minutes. Drain out the water then place the lid on the pan and shake up and down a few times.
3. Put the baking tray in the preheated oven for a few minutes to get the oil hot.
4. Remove and add the potatoes, coating them in the oil. Place back in the oven until cooked around 45-60 minutes. Serves 4-6
Prepare a roasting tin full of carrot batons cut 1cm thick Add a bulb of peeled garlic cloves Drizzle with olive oil and Agave Syrup Roast (covered) for approximately 30 minutes
Brussels sprouts – any way you like them
Plenty of other vegetables
1 Litre of Water or preferably the stock remaining from any vegetables you have boiled (excluding Brussels sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower as the flavour tends to be too strong)
1 Vegan Mushroom Stock Cube
Vegan Gravy Granules (check the label: a lot of gravy granules do not contain any animal food products)
Make according to packet instructions
7 oz (200g) vegan margarine 2 tbsp black treacle 3 1/2 oz (100g) breadcrumbs 3 1/2 oz (100g) wholemeal flour 3 tbsp baking powder 3 1/2 oz (100g) dried apricots, chopped 3 1/2 oz (100g) prunes, chopped 10 1/2 oz (300g) mixture of currants, sultanas & raisins 3 1/2 oz (100g) soft brown sugar 1 cooking apple, grated finely 1 medium carrot, grated finely 3 tsp mixed spice 1 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp salt Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon 3 tbsp sherry 1. Cream the margarine and treacle together. 2. Add all the other ingredients and mix well to a soft dropping consistency. 3. Grease a basin well and fill with the mixture leaving about 2 1/2 cm free from the top to allow for rising. Cover with greaseproof paper and aluminium foil and secure with string. 4. Place in a saucepan and pour in boiling water halfway up the sides of the basin. Simmer gently for 5 hours, topping up the water as necessary. 5. Once cooked the pudding can be kept cold until needed. Steam for a further 2 hours before serving.
To serve: Vegan cream, ice cream or custard from your local health food store or supermarket.
Christmas & Thanksgiving Recipes
Recipes for Every Occasion